Designing how students will learn
Your team has probably been looking forward to this set of steps more than any others in the Forming and Storming stages. Indeed, many teacher-powered teams are highly motivated by their shared vision about how students will learn at their school.
Student learning design steps include:
- Designing a learning program and instructional approach
Teaching and learning philosophies, roles of teachers and students, and existing teacher-powered schools’ approaches to learning and instruction.
- Designing the physical learning environment
School location choices, interior design, and dedicated spaces.
- Designing assessment of student learning
Negotiating autonomy for assessment, defining student achievement, and assessment tools designed for and used in teacher-powered schools.
- Designing student engagement strategies
Nurturing students’ engagement and motivation.
- Designing parent engagement strategies
Defining parents’ roles and encouraging their engagement.
- Designing an approach to discipline and social needs
Addressing discipline and social needs; examples of specific disciplinary approaches.