- Schools & Networks
- Blog & News
- Educator Resources
Thank You For a Great 2017 Conference!
Read more about a teacher's top 5 takeaways from 2017 conference in this Education Week blog post. And see the archived 2017 conference information below, including info on the sessions, presenters, etc. Please note this is the archived page for the conference held in January 2017. Information about the 2018 conference is available here.
Limited funding is potentially available for school teams in need of financial assistance. Please fill out this brief inquiry form and we will contact you with more information.
Friday, we will visit the RFK Community School campus that houses 6 teacher-powered schools. You will get a chance to tour all the schools, participate in small group centers, and see teacher-powered in action. On Saturday, we kick off the morning with a tour of Social Justice Humanitas Academy. The SJHA teacher team is led by the inspirational Jose Navarro and Jeff Austin, two of our presenters in 2015.
FRIDAY SCHOOL TOUR SOLD OUT: for waiting list, click here.
Breakout sessions are designed and led by teachers, who will share their teams’ most innovative practices. There are over 30 sessions within five strands to strengthen and build capacity within teacher teams and supporters. Each session is designed for participants to leave with practical skills they can put into practice at their school site, within their teams, or with their community.
- Cultivating shared purpose
- Distributing School Leadership
- Putting Students at the Center of Design and Management Decisions
- Pursuing New Opportunities As Teacher-Powered Community Schools
- Encouraging District and Charter Authorizer Support of Teacher-Powered Schools
- Partnering with Union Leadership
- Strategies for parent and community involvement
- Building allies, including relationships with districts, administrators, and unions
- Advocating for teacher-powered schools
- And more!
Friday, January 27th; 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Pre-conference school tours- RFK Community Schools
- Reception and cocktail hour
- Movie screening: Good Morning Mission Hill
Saturday, January 28th; 7:30am - 5:45pm
- Early Morning School tour: Social Justice Humanitas Academy
- Welcome/Design Challenge: Share your courage, heart, and wisdom with people at different stages of designing and running teacher-powered schools. Work together to learn how to overcome the obstacles you and your team personally face in the journey ahead.
- Breakfast and lunch included
- Breakout sessions
Sunday, January 29th; 7:30am - 12:30pm
- Plenary and Teacher-Powered Schools Awards
- Breakout sessions
- Breakfast included
- Post-conference workshops
- Wraps up at 12:30pm
Sessions are presented by over 20 teacher-powered teachers, including the Teacher-Powered Schools Ambassadors. Lori Nazareno (founder of Math and Science Leadership Academy and school redesign leader at the Center for Teaching Quality), Kim Farris-Berg (lead author of Trusting Teachers with Schools Success), Amy Junge (teacher-powered schools leader at Education Evolving), and others will also present.
Featured Ignite Presentations by Carrie Bakken, Jenerra Williams, and Karen Hunter Quartz.
Location and Hotel Information
The conference will be held at the brand new UCLA Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference Center, in Los Angeles, CA.
Sunday Post-Conference Workshop
After the main conference wraps up, come join a hands-on, small group workshop session. Work on a teacher-powered topic of your choice with your team and with help from teacher-powered initiative staff—and earn "micro-credentials" in the process!
Community Schools Learning Lab
Join our colleagues at the Los Angeles Education Partnership and the CA Labor-Management Initiative before the conference, on January 25th-26th, for a Learning Lab for district and school teams on Collaboration - A Path Towards Whole Child & Whole School Success.
Los Angeles, CA, Nov 28, 2016 – On January 28-29, 2017 hundreds of educators, union and district leaders will convene for the second Teacher-Powered Schools National Conference. The conference is the largest national gathering for teacher teams working at or interested in developing a teacher-powered school—a trend that is transforming American public education from the inside out.
Exhibitors and Sponsors
Interested in connecting with our amazing teacher-teams and supporting teacher-powered work? Find out how to be an exhibitor or sponsor at our conference.